"United to serve our communities with excellence"
Unfortunately, even in rural communities like New Garden Township and West Grove Borough we experience criminal activity; no one is immune from being the victim of a crime. Fortunately, there is good news. The types of crimes generally occurring in New Garden Township and West Grove Borough are classified as ”property crimes“, most of these incidents fall into a category known as Part II. Property crimes are best described as an incident involving a loss or damage to real property; examples include incidents of theft, criminal mischief, graffiti, etc... Person crimes are best described as incidents where a person has suffered an injury and had a forcible event acted upon them; examples include incidents of robbery, assault, murder, etc...
The mapping feature on our website provides an overview of location and general description of Part I incidents, which are serious person and/or property crimes. Examples of Part I crimes are, robbery, burglary, etc... The definition for Part I and Part II crimes can be located on the FBI’s website.
Below are some common-sense steps you can take to reduce your vulnerability at being the victim of a property crime. These tips are universal and not all-encompassing, there may be other steps you can take, but these measures should be helpful.
- Always lock your vehicle---even in your garage!
- Place purchases and valuables out of sight; preferably in the trunk compartment.
- Don’t forget to hide your GPS.
- Be aware of suspicious behavior and report it immediately; non-emergency #610-268-3171
- If someone comes to residence implying they work for a utility company, ask for their identification.
- There are hundreds of scams out there and they change rapidly; protect your personal information.
- Trust your instincts, if it sounds too good to be true; it probably is...
If the thief can't see the reward, they usually will not force their way into your vehicle. Unfortunately, thefts occur everywhere--so remember to also lock your vehicles at home, including in your garage. It is a common occurrence to leave the garage door open with the keys in the vehicle and valuables still inside.
While away from your residence for extended periods of time, we recommend our residents take security precautions. They include, but are not limited to:
- Take steps to secure your residence and outbuildings; lock doors and windows.
- Create an impression someone is home.
- Leave lights or audio equipment on. (Be wary of creating a pattern, alternate use.)
- Park a vehicle in the driveway.
- Close garage doors.
- If you have an alarm system, make sure it is activated.
- Apprise a trusted neighbor or friend of your travel plans while away from your home.
- Don’t circulate private information or your upcoming travel plans on social websites (Facebook), etc
For the residents of New Garden Township and West Grove Borough, who are going to be away for an extended period of time, you may request a property check from the police department. See instructions regarding vacation request on our website.
View More: Traffic Safety Tips