The story of New Garden Township
The story of New Garden Township began long ago when the land was home to the Lenni Lenape Indians. Located in southern Chester County, Pennsylvania, New Garden was a land of deep woods, tumbling streams and Indian trails until the arrival of William Penn, Jr’s land agent in the early 1700’s....
Any historic artifacts pertaining to New Garden Township that you may want to donate to the Township please contact Ted Christie.
Each year the Historical Commission selects a topic from our local history to display in the Township lobby. Check out the 2019 historic display of the evolution and significance of the New Garden Lyceum.
During the 2019 New Garden Community Day, the Historical Commission welcomed visitors to the restored New Garden Lyceum. The 2012 video of the Lyceum move from its original foundation was shown and an original set of 1891 voting booths and the Supervisors’ table and chairs were on display. In the afternoon, a panel discussion was held which covered the history, rehabilitation and historic graffiti of the Lyceum. The Historical Commission would like to see the Lyceum used for the purpose for which it was built: Community meetings.
In August 2009, New Garden’s Board of Supervisors adopted the “Historic Preservation Ordinance”. The ordinance objectives are to:
- Protect historic resources in New Garden Township.
- Identify all buildings and structures which are important to the culture, history and tradition of the citizens of New Garden Township.
- Confirm the establishment of an Historical Commission in and for New Garden Township.
- Establish a process by which proposed changes or demolition affecting historic resources are reviewed by both the New Garden Township Historical Commission and the New Garden Township Board of Supervisors; and
- Encourage the continued use and preservation of historic resources consistent with preserving the historic character of those resources and to facilitate their appropriate reuse.
- Currently 105 houses are recorded as “historic resources”. Click here to view the Historic Resource Map. (#15 no longer exists; #34 disqualified)
March 29, 2019 UPDATE: Board of Supervisors Review Historic Preservation Ordinance and Inventory of Historic Resources- The New Garden Township Board of Supervisors, at their meeting on April 22nd, 2019 at 7:30pm, reviewed the proposed Historic Preservation Ordinance, Historic Resources Inventory and Map for consideration of adoption. The Board invites you to review the Ordinance, Resource Inventory and Map HERE.
Historical Commission (3 Year Terms) Meets 1st Wednesday of month at 7:30pm
|Debbie Bloxham||January 1, 2026|
|Brian Roberts, Chair||January 1, 2026|
|David Hawk, Secretary||January 1, 2023|
|Michael Leja||January 1, 2023|
|Margaret Jones||Janaury 1, 2026|
|Ted Christie, Treasurer||January 1, 2024|
|Amy Lieberman, Assistant Secretary||January 1, 2024|
|Sarah Hazelwood||January 1, 2024|
|Kris Small||January 1, 2026|