March 29, 2019 UPDATE: Board of Supervisors Review Historic Preservation Ordinance and Inventory of Historic Resources
The New Garden Township Board of Supervisors, at their meeting on April 22nd, 2019 at 7:30pm, will review the proposed Historic Preservation Ordinance, Historic Resources Inventory and Map for consideration of adoption.
The story of New Garden Township
The story of New Garden Township began long ago when the land was home to the Lenni Lenape Indians. Located in southern Chester County, Pennsylvania, New Garden was a land of deep woods, tumbling streams and Indian trails until the arrival of William Penn, Jr’s land agent in the early 1700’s....
Any historic artifacts pertaining to New Garden Township that you may want to donate to the Township please contact Ted Christie.
Stop by the Township Building to view the 2018 Showcase "Thomas Eakins in New Garden"
New Garden’s Board of Supervisors adopted the “Historic Preservation Ordinance”. The ordinance objectives are to:
- Protect historic resources in New Garden Township.
- Identify all buildings and structures which are important to the culture, history and tradition of the citizens of New Garden Township.
- Confirm the establishment of an Historical Commission in and for New Garden Township.
- Establish a process by which proposed changes or demolition affecting historic resources are reviewed by both the New Garden Township Historical Commission and the New Garden Township Board of Supervisors; and
- Encourage the continued use and preservation of historic resources consistent with preserving the historic character of those resources and to facilitate their appropriate reuse.
- Currently 107 houses are recorded as “historic resources”. Click here to view the Historic Resource Map.
Historic Commission (3 Year Terms) Meets 1st Wednesday of month at 7:30pm
|David Hawk||January 1, 2019|
|Brian Roberts, Vice Chair||January 1, 2019|
|Charles Horton||Janaury 1, 2020|
|Elizabeth Horton||January 1, 2020|
|Michael Leja||January 1, 2020|
|Margaret Jones, Secretary||Janaury 1, 2019|
|Ted Christie, Treasurer||January 1, 2021|
|Amy Lieberman, Assistant Secretary||January 1, 2021|
|Lynn Sinclair, Chair||January 1, 2019|
|Vacancy||January 1, 2021|